With the economy going crazy these days, almost everyone is trying to tighten their belts to make ends meet. We either walk to work if it’s possible to save on gas, limit or not have vacations at all, cut cable or telephone subscriptions, and have less frequent visits to shopping malls to avoid expenditure and save money. Unfortunately, even our food choices are affected by the tough economic times. Cheap and convenient choices are often preferred over healthy food choices. Most people have this notion about healthy food being an expensive choice. But cheap and healthy can actually go together.
Planning in advance and using meal plans to create shopping lists is a great way to get your money’s worth. Your list can actually make you see any unhealthy choice and exchange it for better ones. Budgeting is also a big factor. Coupons and store promos could help ease the expenditure too so do not forget to check ahead of time. So what are foods that should be on your cheap and healthy list? Here are some of them.
- Oatmeal. This is a mainstay to a frugal shopper’s grocery list. There are many reasons why we love oatmeal. It is rich in soluble fiber that decreases cholesterol absorption. It is easy to prepare and can be stored for a longer period of time. It can be mixed with any fruit of your choice. And it fits the budget.
- Raisins. This makes a great an on-the-go snack. It contains carbohydrates, proteins, and vitamins. It is low-fat and convenient to bring to school or in your office. This is also very cheap and readily available in the market.
- Carrots. This versatile vegetable can be sliced and eaten raw, cut and put in a stew, or even crushed into a smoothie. It is packed with vitamins and fiber.
- Leafy greens and vegetables. You can make a salad, an appetizer, or a main dish out of it. It is cheap as well. Just remember not to buy too many because it may go to waste when not eaten for a period of time.
- Milk. This is rich in calcium and protein. You can buy in gallons depending on the number of people in your household. Also, store it properly to lengthen shelf-life.
- Yogurt. When stored properly, this will not be spoiled. Yogurt is a delicious and healthy option for breakfast or snack breaks. Sometimes, grocery stores offer bundled promos for things like this, Just watch out for them
Food shopping for cheap and healthy eats is possible. The food listed above are just some of the many nutritious options available.